At the back of the house facing the castle were some gardens and comprised of rose bushes, herbaceous plants and sculptured round and rectangular flower beds. They would have been well maintained by the staff of the time and had its own hidden underground well to facilitate watering of the plants.
There are several hidden water tanks below the grass accessible by a tiny removable cover that would have allowed a hose to be inserted and water pumped out to water the plants. The supply of water was probably from underground drains collecting the rain water. It is not known the size of the tanks but they are at least 2 metres deep.
In later years the gardens were filled in and now it is just a large grass area and no signs of what once stood here but the image below shows what it looked like in 1925.